Students enjoyed competing in small groups in an “Everyday Science” trivia quiz. Questions included fun and relevant topics which generated lively discussion. For example:
- What shape is the goal circle on a Netball court? (circle/semi-circle/ellipse/crescent)
- A shampoo with a low a pH helps control frizziness – this means the shampoo is … acidic/neutral/alkaline/viscous)
- In general, three of these fruits will float in water. Which one do you think will sink? (Lemon, Banana, Avocado, Apple).
- To avoid getting a static electric shock as you get out of a car, you should (touch the ground/ touch your hair or head/touch the ground/touch wood).
- During the second half of the period, the teams competed to build the tallest “Helipad”: a structure to hold at least a certain weight. Students discovered the importance of planning and learnt how to consider trade-offs such as deciding whether to focus on height or strength.